Fairbank Southdown Stud was founded in 1922 by Frank Horace Badcock by purchasing 3 rams and 31 ewes from the Boucher Flock at Hagley (Tasmanian Flock no. 2).
The stud was immediately successful in the show ring with numerous Melbourne ram and ewe champions being exhibited in the 1920’s and 1930’s. During this period, use was made of English imports and their direct progeny.
Vern Badcock took over the stud in 1932 and continued to grow the flock reaching a peak of over 500 ewes. Showing somewhat curtailed during the 1950’s until Frank Badcock commenced again in 1964. Again success was achieved with both Melbourne and Perth Royal Champions being exhibited between the late 1960’s and mid 1990’s.
The stud was halved in the 1971 when brothers Frank and Owen commenced their own separate farming businesses with Owen establishing the successful Whitemore House stud.
The introduction of NZ genetics during the 1970’s and 1980’s contributed great length which had a lasting impact on the breed. Sales have been made to all Australian States and New Zealand. We maintain a ewe base of between 150 and 180 ewes and aim at producing easy lambing, high growth lambs with superior shape ideal for the domestic trade market.